Sponsored

Axle U-Bolt Tightening Torque Specifications?

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
Does anyone know the torque specs for tightening the U-bolts on the rear axle? Is there a specified tightening pattern/sequence?
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
FWIW this clipped from the Workshop Manual:

16. Tighten the U-bolt nuts in a cross pattern in 4 stages.​
Torque :​
Stage 1: 30 lb.ft (40 Nm)​
Stage 2: 59 lb.ft (80 Nm)​
Stage 3: 89 lb.ft (120 Nm)​
Stage 4: 111 lb.ft (150 Nm)​

This is with the truck resting on the tires (suspension loaded) AND assumes NEW nuts (they are shown to be 'single-use' self-locking nuts)

No, I did not use new nuts myself when I removed my spacer blocks, but I did buy the shorter 2WD U bolts (and the shorter 2WD bump-stops).

Have Fun!

PS - congrats on being a member of the Lariat SuperCab club! (y) :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
A hearty THANK YOU, Buyer 2021 !!! That was exactly what I was looking for! And yes, it appears that you saw right through me as to why I wanted to know - I want to lower the rear of my truck.

There are many, many threads out there already regarding 4x4 axle blocks, shackles, etc., so it is not my intention to morph this into yet another thread, but I still can't help myself from commenting...

In all of the threads that I was able to find on the topic of removing the blocks, I noticed 3 things:
1) NO ONE mentions the torque spec of tightening the nuts on the U-bolts (and if there is a pattern or not).
2) NO ONE mentions that the U-bolts (and nuts) are one-time use items (at least as per all of the Ford Parts Dept listings that I have seen). BTW, in a former life, I spent 10 years in the fastener business, and I can say that many (not all) all-metal lock-nuts are one-time-use products, and some manufacturers of nylon-insert lock-nuts say their nuts can be reused three times. This is really a contrast to the real-world use/reality that lock-nuts are regularly reused repeatedly, far beyond their intended/specified use. Bolts - or in this case, U-bolts are bit of a different story, in my opinion. Bolts that are tightened to relatively high torque values, stretch. Head bolts get reused regurlarly, but that is a simple, straight-pull clamping force, whereas U-bolts as a horse of a different color. Just my thoughts...
3) I only saw in one or two threads the fact that the price of the shorter 4x2 U-bolts are 5X the price of the 4x4 U-bolts!!! What??? Why???

In the many threads regarding removing the axle blocks that I have read, it appeared that an overwhelming number of posters were just reusing their U-bolts and nuts. To be clear, I have no problem with that. I just provided additional information that some people may find of value - to each their own.

From numerous articles that I have read, Ford management appears to be somewhat under fire for not knowing how to price their products, as they implement multiple price changes throughout their product line, with the greatest example being the Lightning. Maybe... just perhaps.... the price differentiation between the 4x4 U-bolt (longer/more material) and the 4x2 U-bolt (shorter/less material, but 5 times more expensive!) is a microcosm that reflects these issues.... Don't know, just pondering...

And thank you, Buyer2021 for the welcome! When I custom-orders my truck in December 2021, everyone thought I was nuts for wanting a SuperCab instead of a SuperCrew (you know, like everybody else), but I love my Lariat SuperCab. Thanks for noticing!
Sponsored