Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
hmmm
i never use Android auto
i use my built in gps/nav with the live internet thing modem
it has google as google asks me how my trip was ??

if i did not have built in nav gps i would use my phone and AA

in fact i am very pleased with my built in nav system
except last year i refused to exit when it told me to and then this popped up
i think HAL was not happy i ignored the directions

Ford F-150 Ford owners prefer factory infotainment over Android Auto fl trip  (7)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I occasionally use Android Auto in the truck each time AA gets an update. But I still prefer Sync4 over Android Auto.

It's the only vehicle I own that I can say that about. Android Auto crushes the native software on the 2016 & 2018 Mazda and Nissan.

The 2005 Porsche is another animal though. The Flat 6 IS the entertainment center. :)

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Working in IT and knowing our phones listen to us, (I dont care who says what), I limit my 'big brother presence' as best I can.
Bought a Sony TV with Android built in and on day one, removed the back and disconnected the microphone.
I dont want Alexa, Siri or Droid listening to me at any time. Ive already commented on this board how last Christmas my wife was trying on different dresses for her upcoming company Christmas party. I just laid on the bed watching her come out one after another. I never did one search on my phone for those items, yet for the next week all my ads were about Christmas Parties and dresses and an awkward link to @Snakebitten s OnlyFans site.... ?????

Long story short, I load up a thumbdrive with FLAC files and play them randomly every time Im in the truck.

Sponsored

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
my biggest gripe, and the reason I dont use apple carplay is that when using google maps, you cant pinch and zoom , you must use the stupid +/- arrows or the right/left arrows etc. the Ford nav is much simple to zoom in or "look around" than google.

I will say the Ford nav is a little lame in the traffic conditions department compared to google maps. It usually doesnt show stopped traffic until I am already stopped in it.

not saying there arent times I use it, but 99% of the time carplay is turned off.

I certainly think its a matter of personal preference. once you learn one system its generally a pain to try and figure out the other guys interface. or at least it is to me.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I find myself using a blend of AA and SYNC AA "google maps" is much faster to update traffic conditions which allows you to make a fast choice about which route to take, especially during rush hour in the NYC metro area we're I live. Google maps also allows you to search for a destination on your phone before you get in the truck, then when you hoop in simply hit the search icon and there's your destination. I wish Ford Pass should have an ability to search a destination and save it to be later used in the truck, so you dont have to sit there pecking at the screen when you're ready to go. Also AA has it all over SYNC with text messages.
For whatever reason I prefer the native SYNC navigation system on longer trips, here the turn by turn is much better along with the graphic images regarding lane choice on upcoming turns and exits. I never stream music and really only use AM radio or siriusxm, SYNC definitely shines here! So I'm 50/50 on this.

Last edited:

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Way prefer Android Auto over the built in. I wouldn't have bought the truck if it didn't have Android Auto. I've been using it for several years and have been very happy with it.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
AA all the way. I prefer to listen to the music I want to listen to and not have to worry about crap quality and commercials.

I remember my phone was jacked up one morning driving home from work and out of my 25 minute drive, I only heard two songs play the entire trip listening to a local radio station. I almost wanted to put the truck into a ditch lol.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Mine defaults to Android Auto. Can you make it otherwise but still have the phone synched to handle phone calls?

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Another vote for built in connected nav and sync. I'm thinking of using AA when the trial runs out though.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Mine defaults to Android Auto. Can you make it otherwise but still have the phone synched to handle phone calls?
Go to settings in sync and tap the AA icon to turn it off.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I've always let the phone and AA autoconnect wirelessly on startup. Prior to coolwalk, The phone would always connect and AA would load, BUT the SYNC screen would be on the last screen displayed when the truck was turned off. SINCE coolwalk the screen often times changes to the AA screen on the next restart, instead of the screen I last left off with. It's a minor annoyance, but it's not right either. One thing that seems to help a little is to change the AA settings on your phone to "if used on last drive" this seems to help a little but still once in a while it still moves to the AA screen on startup.

Ford F-150 Ford owners prefer factory infotainment over Android Auto Screenshot_20230713_210402_Android Auto

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I mean, I love Carplay because Apple's own infotainment is so good...but in a pinch, I think Alexa is surprisingly good at knowning where I want to go.
Alexa, find me the nearest gas station
Alexa, take me to the nearest HEB

Home run every time, I cannot believe it works this well.
Sponsored