Sponsored

FX4 with 36 gallon fuel tank?

lchilds444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hey all. Been reading these post for awhile and just decided to make an account so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this!

How does the FX4 package work if you have the larger 36 gallon fuel tank? Do you get a larger skid plate for the larger fuel tank? Do they use the same one as the 23 gallon? Does it not get a skid plate? Just curious. No one I’ve talked to seems to know. Thanks :)
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
My guess is that they just have two skid plates for the different tanks.

I didn't order the FX4 package with my truck, since my truck already came with the locking rear differential and ordering the FX4 after that doesn't prorate the cost of the package.

Aftermarket skid plates can be more robust are a better value and there's instructions on how to add the dash button and software to perform all the other FX4 specific features.

If you are adding FX4 as the only option, it's a better value.

OP
OP

lchilds444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
My guess is that they just have two skid plates for the different tanks.

I didn't order the FX4 package with my truck, since my truck already came with the locking rear differential and ordering the FX4 after that doesn't prorate the cost of the package.

Aftermarket skid plates can be more robust are a better value and there's instructions on how to add the dash button and software to perform all the other FX4 specific features.

If you are adding FX4 as the only option, it's a better value.
Good to know that seems like the most likely option!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It's also possible that the OEM skidplates are wheelbase specific.

You can find out by looking at production trucks and entering the VINs into parts.ford.com and if the information is available; searching the skid plates. Then seeing which ones are equipped.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Should be noted that the factory skid plate for the fuel tank is just a piece of plastic.

can be bought thru the parts department but the tank supports need to be changed as well, as the mounts for the plate are integrated into the correct tank hangars.

saw a video on this and it looks as if it took about an hour to change hangers and add plate

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
The cover (it’s not a skid plate) is sized to fit over the size of the fuel tank Installed.
Sponsored