Looks like another axle bolt shear…

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 PB
So are they saying that they will eventually replace them in the future once the supply chain eases even if they are not yet broke ? As in like a recall for certain build ranges. Am I reading Note 2 correctly ?
That’s what I’m gathering from note 2.
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
The attached lifted from a post on 'the other F150 forum'

IMO this formal written acknowledgment by Ford is great news, evidence that the issue is recognized and will not be 'dropped'.

The "Affected Vehicles" table on the first page suggests to me (yes, I could be wrong) that the root cause is either a bad batch of parts or a defective procedure at an Assembly Plant.

In any case, being an optimist by nature I'm going to run with the notion that the 'permanent solution' and end of this 'broken bolt saga' is in sight.

:)

Attachments

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
How does one know if he/she has 9.75” HD Axle – ¾ Float Axle?

Let me rephrase - what in the world is "9.75” HD Axle – ¾ Float Axle" :D and how does one know if he/she has it?
My build date is outside of this scope, just trying to learn and be proactive in case those build dates expand.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
How does one know if he/she has 9.75” HD Axle – ¾ Float Axle?

Let me rephrase - what in the world is "9.75” HD Axle – ¾ Float Axle" :Dand how does one know if he/she has it?
My build date is outside of this scope, just trying to learn and be proactive in case those build dates expand.
Bottom line - you have the 3/4-float axle that is the subject of this thread only and always if you have the Max Tow Package (but not any other tow package) on your Gen 14 F150. Note that the Max Tow Package is a required part of HDPP, too.

The above options are only found on F150 with 3.5EB, 5.0V8, or PB engines.

There is also a 9.75" semi-floating axle offered in certain other configurations, but that is not subject to this issue, it has no bolt in the end of the axle.

So, the easiest 'test' is to look for Max Tow Package or HDPP (heavy Duty Payload Package) on the window sticker of your F150 with 3.5EB, 5.0V8. or PB engine.

The next easiest test is to pull the center cap on a rear wheel and look - if you see a bolt-head in the center of the end of the axle your have the 3/4-float axle that is the subject of this thread. There is no bolt at all in the center of the end of any other Gen 14 F150 axle.

Last edited:

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
The attached lifted from a post on 'the other F150 forum'

IMO this formal written acknowledgment by Ford is great news, evidence that the issue is recognized and will not be 'dropped'.

The "Affected Vehicles" table on the first page suggests to me (yes, I could be wrong) that the root cause is either a bad batch of parts or a defective procedure at an Assembly Plant.

In any case, being an optimist by nature I'm going to run with the notion that the 'permanent solution' and end of this 'broken bolt saga' is in sight.

:)
The dates in the pdf are a shorter window than the failures posted here. I was a Nov 21 build, two months after the close in the pdf. It also appears they're only providing coverage until Feb '24. Glad I added ESP for 8y/100k miles.

Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Looks like it only affects one specific build date for MY22: September 16, 2021.

Seems like I've heard of at least a few '22 trucks that have had this failure. It would be very unlikely that they were all built on that one day.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
It's not at all uncommon for the dates and lists of affected VINs as well as remedy eligibility periods to expand after the publication of an initial CSP / FSA such as this (via amended or later superseding / supplemental notifications).

IMO with the 'door now being opened' there's nothing but reason for optimism that all vehicles suffering this problem will be addressed.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bottom line - you have the 3/4-float axle that is the subject of this thread only and always if you have the Max Tow Package (but not any other tow package) on your Gen 14 F150. Note that the Max Tow Package is a required part of HDPP, too.

There is also a 9.75" semi-floating axle offered in certain other configurations, but that is not subject to this issue, it has no bolt in the end of the axle.

So, the easiest 'test' is to look for Max Tow Package or HDPP (heavy Duty Payload Package) on the window sticker of your F150 with 3.5EB, 5.0V8. or PB engine.

The next easiest test is to pull the center cap on a rear wheel and look - if you see a bolt-head in the center of the end of the axle your have the 3/4-float axle that is the subject of this thread. There is no bolt at all in the center of the end of any other Gen 14 F150 axle.

Thank you @Buyer2021 for this explanation.
I don't have either, I have Tow Technology package.

I am curious though - how is the axle held in other models if there is no bolt?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief

which begs to question WHY on earth did ford use the fail prone axle over a proven semi floating axle they used for decades in f250s and HD F150s???

any one have access to the engineering drawings on the breaking axle to see just far the shaft can move in or out of the center spool assembly?
of wheel is held on by bearing and retaining bolts, Why do we need to center bolt ? case in point
in most of the semi floating there is a c clip or other retainer to hold axle shaft in place
in a full floater the axle can be removed just by un bolting the outer cap and sliding axle out, which is great if your off raoding and break an axle shaft or ??

so what drove the change after decades of axle success?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I am curious though - how is the axle held in other models if there is no bolt?
On others the 'semi-floating' axle is restrained by a circlip (AKA "axle shaft retaining washer" in the Workshop Manual) on the inboard-end inside the differential (it's necessary to remove the differential cover to remove the axle shaft). The axle including the flange on the outboard end is a single-piece casting, with the wheel studs pressed through the flange that's part of the axle-shaft.

which begs to question WHY on earth did ford use the fail prone axle over a proven semi floating axle they used for decades in f250s and HD F150s???
It strikes me that your question is predicated on the assumption that the 3/4-float axle design is "fail prone". Absent that assumption there are likely valid reasons, even if you or I can't name them, that the 3/4-float is superior to other alternatives from a performance and / or production perspective.

IMO the CSP / FSA gives no basis for assuming an axle / component design shortcoming. One might well imagine a similar scenario if, for example, it were found that there were a component manufacturing or assembly defect relating to the semi-floating axle circlip on certain production runs / VINs, no? And any manufactured item is subject to such issues, no?

I suppose one could take a cynical extreme view and wonder why Ford makes changes at all (which inevitably cost money to even develop) and wonder why anything ever changes from past practice, but you clearly understand better than that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On others the 'semi-floating' axle is restrained by a circlip (AKA "axle shaft retaining washer" in the Workshop Manual) on the inboard-end inside the differential (it's necessary to remove the differential cover to remove the axle shaft). The axle including the flange on the outboard end is a single-piece casting, with the wheel studs pressed through the flange that's part of the axle-shaft.
Thanks @Buyer2021

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief

It strikes me that your question is predicated on the assumption that the 3/4-float axle design is "fail prone". Absent that assumption there are likely valid reasons, even if you or I can't name them, that the 3/4-float is superior to other alternatives from a performance and / or production perspective.

IMO the CSP / FSA gives no basis for assuming an axle / component design shortcoming. One might well imagine a similar scenario if, for example, it were found that there were a component manufacturing or assembly defect relating to the semi-floating axle circlip on certain production runs / VINs, no? And any manufactured item is subject to such issues, no?

I suppose one could take a cynical extreme view and wonder why Ford makes changes at all (which inevitably cost money to even develop) and wonder why anything ever changes from past practice, but you clearly understand better than that.
nope missed my point, or i was unclear, i did say fail prone, but i was out of context (ufo)
if the design is plagued now by more and more failures, some of which folks dont know for long time the bolt failed and drove with no issues.
what are if damage even occurs with the failed retaining bolt?
why was axle changed to this design? is the bolt a superior retention design? for me there are too many questions
i fully understand CHANGE to gain longevity or save $$, absolutely no doubt.
the new design may be the cats meow compared to other axles,
it may be a simple assembly error that over torques the bolt? or a manufacture error of not correct strength for said bolt????

i also find it funny/odd etc that we see here a high percent of failed bolts,,, are un known by operator and many look rusted as heck indicating they were broken a long time, so i ask is the bolt needed? the hub bearing and its retainer hold the wheel assembly on to the axle ? what is the real purpose of the bolt? can the axle shaft move inboard to much to fracture the end of gear teeth or disengage from wheel end altogether? or damage the inside of the differential spool or gears?

but as an old aircraft guy, $$$$ always drives design changes, whether is to lighten the aircraft , or making an assembly less overbuilt because previous assemblies never failed.
so bean counters ask if it can built for less $$ which always leads to a GROWING pain era of failures or deaths and design tweaks. 737 max software snafu is proof positive $$ is leading cause of OMG we did what, followed by yes we can save$$ if we cut the training budget.....until planes fall from sky because a 200 dollar training session is cut out.

OddBall88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Farmer
Well was doing an oil change and tire rotation today on my 23 PB and I had the bolt on my passenger side sheared off. So add me to the the list of unfortunate people.
Sponsored