Mud Flaps, Mud Guards, Splash Guards

dzacco

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Whatever they're called, I need a set. In searching the forums, all I find are old posts so I thought it might be time for a new thread. I need something that's able to keep the rocks and mud spray off the sides of the truck and retractable running boards. My truck is bone stock so wide tires are not part of the equation. Please share your good and bad experiences with various brands and if possible, give width, length and pictures. Some of the manufacturers I am considering are:
  • Husky - Very inexpensive ($83 for set of 4) but it appears they are narrower than others and don't protrude outside the fender at the top. This might let debris hit the door panels.
  • Weather Tech - Inexpensive ($100 for set of 4) Size the same as the Husky's, but I can't find a picture mounted on a F-150.
  • Ford OEM - Also inexpensive ($103 for all 4). These appear to be wider on the top with roughly 1/2" protruding outside the fender at the top.
  • RokBlokz - Probably near my personal cost limit at $165 for the set. They look like quality material and are wider. They come in 2 sizes with the XL being 1" wider and 2" longer. The standard size is what I'm leaning towards but what do you think?
  • Duraflap - At $210-240 it's probably the most I want to spend but they are customizable. They have 12" and 14" widths and 10" and 12" lengths.
I know there's a ton of experience on this forum so I'm looking forward to your comments and recommendations.
Sponsored

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
I got the Ford OEM ones using points, I have not gone through snow yet but happy with them so far on my stock 22 Limited.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have the Ford OEM and I like the coverage for these. I wish they were a little "stiffer" and not as bendable but perhaps that will help if something hits them. I like that they are formed to the shape of the wheel well and do not look like a piece of flat plastic that was just added on.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I had the Husky flaps for a while but I didn’t think they worked very well at keeping the mud off the running boards in the front and lower quarter panels behind the wheels in the rear.

I changed to the Ford OEM flaps and those do a much better job. They hang lower than the Husky flaps which definitely made a difference. I also like the way the Ford flaps install. The clips and hardware make it a little more robust of an install compared to the Husky flaps.

Sponsored

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
I had Duraflap on my F-350 dually, loved them! The flap is flexible but heavy enough that it doesn't sale in the wind. These should last the life of the truck. Now I have to decide if I want to put flaps on the F-150. Decisions, decisions ...

Ford F-150 Mud Flaps, Mud Guards, Splash Guards 20221111_074359

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I love these. They're beefy, hang low but can move out of the way of rocks, seem to actually obstruct flying debris from my tires and actually look nice. I haven't tried fender flares, but looking at them installed, I don't see how you could fit fender flares with these installed.

Rear
Front

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I have the RokBlokz standard size and they work well for my purpose. No issues dragging them on rocks off-roading etc.

BILDOZER

First Name
BILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Management
I like the Ford factory ones as they hold up well in the carwash and look well... factory! YMMV.

Sponsored

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Have been pretty happy with gatorback, went with front and back. Stay flexible in the winter and have had no issues cutting through the deeper snow. The flaps have definitely helped reduce the crap on the front of our trailer in the summer too. 

Ford F-150 Mud Flaps, Mud Guards, Splash Guards PSX_20210902_111734

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
I think this is really a personal decision and other than quality concerns, you probably know which one you want.

I don't easy that to be mean or cocky, just saying you probably have a favorite in mind already.

I have a tremor so my running boards are stationary, I have the factory oem mud flaps and they prevent anything from getting on the running boards, I've been super happy with them and I did buy them after I purchased the truck . I also love in snow for more than have the year.

For context though, when I was looking for mud flaps aesthetics was just as important as functionality to me. So although it's clear the duraflaps are likely the best on that list in terms of protection, I personally don't like how industrial they look so I would have never got those, it's all personal taste.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I think this is really a personal decision and other than quality concerns, you probably know which one you want.

I don't easy that to be mean or cocky, just saying you probably have a favorite in mind already.

I have a tremor so my running boards are stationary, I have the factory oem mud flaps and they prevent anything from getting on the running boards, I've been super happy with them and I did buy them after I purchased the truck . I also love in snow for more than have the year.

For context though, when I was looking for mud flaps aesthetics was just as important as functionality to me. So although it's clear the duraflaps are likely the best on that list in terms of protection, I personally don't like how industrial they look so I would have never got those, it's all personal taste.
Agree that the OEM flaps do a great job of keeping snow/mud, etc, off the vehicle.

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
I'm very happy with the OEM Ford flaps. The front ones really help keep the snow off the running boards. Didn't have them last winter, and couldn't believe how much snow piled up on them. Weird since my 2010 had similar running boards, and I never had snow buildup like I do on the 2021. Only complaint I have is with the support bar Ford uses for the rear flaps. Doesn't look great. I wish they had done something a bit cleaner and hidden.

OP
OP
dzacco

dzacco

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
It's looking like the Ford flaps are the overwhelming favorites. The Duraflaps and RockBlokz look like they would give better protection but, since I'm driving a limited, mud bogs and serious off road use probably won't be encountered. All considered, I've decided to go with the OEM units. Fit, function, inexpensive, practical and like Viper said, I can use points to purchase from a dealer.

Thanks for the advice and opinions.
Sponsored