Sponsored

True 4WD with High and Low speed transfer case - best option is GM or Chevy

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
When I bought my 2022 F-150 XLT with 4WD and the locking rear differential I was not knowledgeable about how Ford approached four wheel drive vehicles. I have owned 4WD vehicles from Willy, Suzuki, GM, and Chevy. They all had a two-speed transfer case. It came as a surprise that Ford cheats its customers by not providing this on 99% of their 4WD vehicles.

To get the two speed or "HiLock" transfer case with Ford there are two options. Buy a Raptor for $80,100 or buy a Tremor with the $11,710 equipment package that includes the 402A transfer case and spend $79,725.

With GM/Chevy there is the X31 Off-road Package (or Z71 with Chevy) that provides a off-road suspension, hill descent control, skid plates, heavy duty air filter, trailing package, locking differential, and the 2-speed Automatic Transfer Case. This package adds $945 to the MSRP for a Chevy Silverado as compared to $11,710 with the Ford F-150.

A Silverado 1500 WT model can be purchased with the true off-road package and equipment at a MSRP of $44,880 that has the same capabilities as a Ford truck costing $36,000 more. One can choose to tweak the suspension with aftermarket parts but it is quite expensive by a Ford truck without the 2-speed transfer case and add it later.

The GM and Chevy trucks with this package also have is 36 gallon gas tanks as with the Raptor. The larger tank should be part of the off-road package but with Ford it is not even included with the tow package.
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I was not knowledgeable about how Ford approached four wheel drive vehicles. I have owned 4WD vehicles from Willy, Suzuki, GM, and Chevy. They all had a two-speed transfer case. It came as a surprise that Ford cheats its customers by not providing this on 99% of their 4WD vehicles.
Apparently, you still are not knowledgeable about Gen 14 Ford F150 four wheel drive systems.....

All Gen 14 up through and including XLT trim have the 2-speed ESOF transfer case (and e-locking rear axle is an available option). From the owners manual:

Using the Electronic Shift On the Fly System (If Equipped)
This four-wheel drive system utilizes a 2-speed Electronic Shift On the Fly (ESOF) transfer case which is also known as a part-time system. This system offers the driver two-wheel drive high, four-wheel drive high, and four-wheel drive low as available modes of operation. When either four-wheel drive high or four-wheel drive low are selected, the system provides mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels or slippery conditions eep snow, sand or mud.​

All Gen 14 Lariat through and including Platinum trim have the 2-speed automatic (aka Torque-On-Demand / "TOD") transfer case (and e-locking rear axle is an available option). From the owners manual:

Using the 2-Speed Automatic Four-Wheel Drive System (If Equipped)
The 2-speed automatic four-wheel drive system utilizes an electronically controlled on-demand 2-speed transfer case. This system monitors various vehicle sensory inputs to provide an increased level of performance. This system offers the driver two-wheel drive high, four-wheel drive auto, four-wheel drive high, and four-wheel drive low as available modes of operation. When four-wheel drive auto is selected, the system continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance for all on-road conditions. When either four-wheel drive high or four-wheel drive low are selected, the system provides electronically or mechanically locked power to the front and rear wheels for use in off-road or slippery conditions such as deep snow, sand or mud.​

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
When I bought my 2022 F-150 XLT with 4WD and the locking rear differential I was not knowledgeable about how Ford approached four wheel drive vehicles. I have owned 4WD vehicles from Willy, Suzuki, GM, and Chevy. They all had a two-speed transfer case. It came as a surprise that Ford cheats its customers by not providing this on 99% of their 4WD vehicles.

To get the two speed or "HiLock" transfer case with Ford there are two options. Buy a Raptor for $80,100 or buy a Tremor with the $11,710 equipment package that includes the 402A transfer case and spend $79,725.

With GM/Chevy there is the X31 Off-road Package (or Z71 with Chevy) that provides a off-road suspension, hill descent control, skid plates, heavy duty air filter, trailing package, locking differential, and the 2-speed Automatic Transfer Case. This package adds $945 to the MSRP for a Chevy Silverado as compared to $11,710 with the Ford F-150.

A Silverado 1500 WT model can be purchased with the true off-road package and equipment at a MSRP of $44,880 that has the same capabilities as a Ford truck costing $36,000 more. One can choose to tweak the suspension with aftermarket parts but it is quite expensive by a Ford truck without the 2-speed transfer case and add it later.

The GM and Chevy trucks with this package also have is 36 gallon gas tanks as with the Raptor. The larger tank should be part of the off-road package but with Ford it is not even included with the tow package.
Dang it I keep showing my ass! My apologies.

Last edited:

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
I love how you don't describe anything you are talking about.

SonarChief

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2024 F150 King Ranch, 153” WB, Red PB
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Quote from Calson “When I bought my 2022 F-150 XLT with 4WD and the locking rear differential I was not knowledgeable”

take that for what it’s worth.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Attached FYI from the F150 Workshop Manual, for those seeking to become more knowledgeable about these systems. ;)

Attachments

OP
OP

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I have gone to the build section for Ford XLT and it does not show the option for a two-speed or what Ford calls a Hi-Lock transfer case. It is included with the Raptor and available as part of a $11,710 option package on the Tremor.

If you can provide otherwise please provide something concrete. A repair manual for this Ford part has nothing to do with ordering a truck with it. That should be obvious, but evidently it is not. Same goes for the person quoting "if equipped" which means it is not a stock item and may not be available on a new truck. Why is critical thinking such a problem?

I appreciate that most people buying a 4WD vehicle do so for status and do not every take their pristine trucks off the pavement. But for those that do and want a Ford Raptor there are alternatives that are $35,000 cheaper and for many people that amount of money is not something to be sneered at.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I have gone to the build section for Ford XLT and it does not show the option for a two-speed [transfer case] ....
Just look at the mode buttons on your 4WD XLT dashboard, you have
  • 2H (2 wheel drive)
  • 4H (4 wheel drive HIGH range)
  • 4L (4 wheel drive LOW range)
High & Low range 4WD = 2-speed transfer case, plain as day, no other possible explanation.

My Lariat adds a 4th button
  • 4A (4 wheel drive for use at any speed on any surface)
Granted, the Ford retail website does an abysmal job of explaining the 4WD systems, but being produced by marketing-types, that's the least authoritative resource for technical info.

There is no mention of any '1-speed' transfer case 4WD in your owner's manual or any Gen14 Workshop Manual.

Edit with apology to delete uncalled for snide remark

Last edited:

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I have gone to the build section for Ford XLT and it does not show the option for a two-speed or what Ford calls a Hi-Lock transfer case. It is included with the Raptor and available as part of a $11,710 option package on the Tremor.

If you can provide otherwise please provide something concrete. A repair manual for this Ford part has nothing to do with ordering a truck with it. That should be obvious, but evidently it is not. Same goes for the person quoting "if equipped" which means it is not a stock item and may not be available on a new truck. Why is critical thinking such a problem?

I appreciate that most people buying a 4WD vehicle do so for status and do not every take their pristine trucks off the pavement. But for those that do and want a Ford Raptor there are alternatives that are $35,000 cheaper and for many people that amount of money is not something to be sneered at.
Take a deep breath and read a little more. You get the 2 speed transfer case on an XLT. GM has used clutch based transfer cases as well, since...2007 off the top of my head. Raptors transfer case is something a little different.

What they don't include is an auto mode, unless you get to the Lariat. I agree that should be on XLT

Ironically GM has moved away from the 2 speed transfer case on all but the z71, x31 and 6.2 trucks. But not many use low anyways.

OP
OP

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Thanks for your response. With my research I also found the ignorance of writers for publications like Car and Driver to be quite surprising.

I found it confusing with the electronic locking rear differential that when activated in 4WD would deactivate as there was a conflict with some traction control modes.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I found it confusing with the electronic locking rear differential that when activated in 4WD would deactivate as there was a conflict with some traction control modes.
Attached may be of interest as it has some explanation of various operating modes / parameters / behaviors for the E-locker (ELD) rear differential. Though this is for the 8.8 ring-gear axle, insofar as ELD behavior it is the same for all sizes including the Max Tow 3/4-float axle.

When reading take care to watch for mentions of "4A" which will only apply to the TOD transfer case, not your ESOF.

Attachments

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Thanks for your response. With my research I also found the ignorance of writers for publications like Car and Driver to be quite surprising.

It can be confusing for sure. I also have the 2 speed electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) transfer case. It’s definitely old school part time 4WD and not AWD like my Subaru or the normal operation of my H3.

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
The HiLock case has a mechanical dog physically locking the front and rear driveshafts together. The non-HiLock cases use the clutches for this. That’s why only the two hard core off road versions have them.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The Hi-Lock is more similar to the base ESOF case with added automatic capabilities. A Raptor/Tremor locks up mechanically like an XL or XLT in 4H or 4L. Meaning a locked condition with dog clutches and a chain. If you order a Lariat with the snow plow package it deletes the 4A TOD case and gives you the ESOF system. Mechanical lock is preferable for extreme duty, so the Hi-Lock is more a souped up ESOF with added 4A.

There are (3) transfer cases. I think you are confused. All are 2 speed. 2 of them lock with chain and dog clutches, one uses a multi plate clutch pack.
Sponsored