First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
listentothewindmedia.com
Vehicles
'24 Lariat, (Carbonized Gray Metallic)
I went and got my first "break-in" oil change of my 2024 Lariat today. Mileage was at only 840 miles.

I specifically asked for Full Synthetic oil. The service manager even mentioned that the price would be over $100 and I was using points, so it didn't bother me. When I pick up the truck, the price is $71, so I asked if Full Synthetic was used. It turned out that Synthetic blend was being used. My service manager had left, so I had no one to go to.

Now probably in the grand scheme of all oil changes, this isn't a big deal, but man, oil changes are simple...Only if you screw them up. I'm heading home around 2500 miles west to Washington come Sunday. Once I get back I plan to do my own oil change there and will swap in some Syn. I'm glad we can still do oil changes ourselves on their vehicles.
Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Install the fumoto valve and do it yourself. If you make it sufficiently easy, it's a time and money savings.

I will also point out that dealers VERY often overtighten oil filters; the oil filter is deceptively well positioned IF if is hand tight. If the gorilla torque it, then it's a huge pain. If you install a filter, then you can use one with a built in hex nut, which means that you can always get it loose.

Last edited:

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
This is why I buy my oil and filter and take it to a friends garage, put it on a lift and change it myself.

Dakar09

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat 5.0L

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Consider that hand tight may not be enough. In the old days, oil system pressures were on the order of 10 to 40#. In this Gen 14 truck the oil pressures are two step at about 45# and 98#. I don't like having an oil filter put on by magilla gorilla either... Still I find the location so onerous, the up, over, around and thru is just too much. So I put in a remote setup where I can reach it with the hood open.

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat Lightning
Certainly won’t hurt you. I test my oil periodically at a lab. They have run extensive tests on synthetic vs. standard oil. The results are inconclusive. You do you, but don’t expect you are putting undue wear on your engine that is driving it to an earlier grave.

Dakar09

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat 5.0L
Ah...I remember a similar design from way back. Are the drain plugs on the 5.0 that hard to get to where you'd need this? Any issues with leaks from these?

Sponsored

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 302A Powerboost FX4 Sport
I just had my 1st oil change done for free. The dealer used synthetic blend which is the same as factory fill. I confirmed this with the service advisor about what kind of oil will be used before leaving my truck there so no surprises there. When I picked up my truck the service record shows they used a Zak Oil Booster additive made by Warren Buffet‘s company which I don’t care for. The dealer is part of Warren Buffet‘s network of car dealers so they must have been instructed to use it.

It’s not like synthetic blend will drastically reduce the life your engine. The next oil change I will do myself and I will be using full synthetic.

Last edited:

CowboyUP2022

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
Install the fumoto valve and do it yourself. If you make it sufficiently easy, it's a time and money savings.

I will also point out that dealers VERY often overtighten oil filters; the oil filter is deceptively well positioned IF if is hand tight. If the gorilla torque it, then it's a huge pain. If you install a filter, then you can use one with a built in hex nut, which means that you can always get it loose.
Agree about the Fumoto valve. It only took one (the initial) oil change for me to install the Fumoto. Of all the mods I have done, this one is worth its weight in gold.

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Retired Army / Disabled Vet
I have (and really like) the Valvomax plug. Have them on all my vehicles.

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired
FYI the 5.0 has a different size drain plug than the 3.5 , I believe that it is a m12 x 1.75. I was concerned about that clearance of a Fumoto valve and have purchased a Votex drain plug available on Amazon to make my oil changes easier.
I have found that ramps make the job very simple and just slide a piece of cardboard between the ramps to make sliding under the truck easier for this old man.

An oil and filter change in lass than thirty minutes at my house and I know that it’s done right.
Sponsored