YOU HAD ONE JOB!!!

mtmiller302

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost
I test my oil periodically at a lab. They have run extensive tests on synthetic vs. standard oil. The results are inconclusive.
Totally expected results given where the industry is.

The terms "synthetic" and "standard" as it relates to engine oil were never that clearly distinct and defined but the situation got muddier decades ago with the Mobil / Castrol squabble. The term "full synthetic" certainly may not mean what consumers think it means.
Sponsored

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat Lightning
Fumoto doesn’t make one for the ash plug for the 2.7L. 😡 The Ford designer needs to get a clue. At least my 2.7L has the plug on a 45-degree angle away from the cross member. My sons build two months earlier slams the old draining right into the cross member.

ThumperF150

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 RCSB 4X4
Occupation
Unemployed
Install the fumoto valve and do it yourself. If you make it sufficiently easy, it's a time and money savings.

I will also point out that dealers VERY often overtighten oil filters; the oil filter is deceptively well positioned IF if is hand tight. If the gorilla torque it, then it's a huge pain. If you install a filter, then you can use one with a built in hex nut, which means that you can always get it loose.
Do you iknow which brands of oil filters have the built in nut?

Mr Salami

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Do you iknow which brands of oil filters have the built in nut?
K&N does. Amsoil has a high grip finish on theirs. The twist is that shops don't use those filters, so if you have one, it means that you installed it; you aren't going to overtorque the filter, so if you have one that is easy to get off when overtorqued, then you put it there and didn't overtorque it.

I just had another channel-lock fight with a Motorcraft filter last night, and only got it off because I yanked the oil redirection plate beneath the filter so that I could get channel locks on it. The channel locks didn't loosen it, but they did deform the housing enough so that I could break it loose by hand. The good news is that I broke the cycle of dealer overtorqued oil filters, so it should be smooth sailing from here on.

ThumperF150

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 RCSB 4X4
Occupation
Unemployed
K&N does. Amsoil has a high grip finish on theirs. The twist is that shops don't use those filters, so if you have one, it means that you installed it; you aren't going to overtorque the filter, so if you have one that is easy to get off when overtorqued, then you put it there and didn't overtorque it.

I just had another channel-lock fight with a Motorcraft filter last night, and only got it off because I yanked the oil redirection plate beneath the filter so that I could get channel locks on it. The channel locks didn't loosen it, but they did deform the housing enough so that I could break it loose by hand. The good news is that I broke the cycle of dealer overtorqued oil filters, so it should be smooth sailing from here on.
Thanks.
I hear on the Catch 22. But I have a drawer full of various types and sizes of oil filter wrenches and most recently, pliers. I always manage to get them off and replaced but being able to do so with a simple socket might make the whole process just that much easier.

unafFORDableXLT

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Speaking of dealer oil changes…this is what the dealer did to mine at 1k miles.
They took off the neck instead of the cap and broke the o-ring.
There wasn’t a parts listing for it so the manager took one from another truck on the lot to get me out of there.

Ford F-150 YOU HAD ONE JOB!!! IMG_2494

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The real secret is to have a vehicle lift like Snakebitten.
Sponsored