First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Tremor 5.0, 1966 F100
Occupation
Retired
EcoBeastCA, thanks for a great idea ! I ordered the lights from Amazon today .
Sponsored

EcoB259

First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT S Crew
Occupation
Retired
I would like to do this to my badges but hoping I can do it with them mounted?
I have these badges and they are 3M taped on.
Ford F-150 Illuminated fender badges for less than ten bucks IMG_5911

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
IMG_5911.png
Maybe look on inside of fender see if you mounted in there if it'd shine through.
I wouldn't want to pull them off as the 3m probably wouldn't stick right putting back on. If it doesn't look like you could mount inside maybe get more 3m to replace it to put back on

OP
OP
EcoBeastCA

EcoBeastCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 402A
IMG_5911.png
That would be tricky but they open up right into the inner fender and there's lots of room there, but you could only get your hand in there if it's really skinny.

Try this. Take a piece of stiff wire or a rod, fish it from the top of the engine compartment into the fender (or vice versa, whichever's easier) and put through the vent. Attach the wires of your LED to the wire/rod with electrical tape and pull it through into the engine compartment. Then you can connect the lamp to battery or another 12VDC source and mock it up before putting it in place permanently.

Doing it this way versus just stuffing them in from the front of the vent with the wires hanging out will give you a better idea of actual placement and how the light will cast.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Start off just shining flashlight down on backside of those vents in the dark. See if you'll be able to see light at all before bothering to go further.

Sponsored

EcoB259

First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT S Crew
Occupation
Retired
Thanks I will do that. When I installed them I almost put the lights on first but I didn’t want to spend the $100 plus I didn’t like the taps either. The $40 connectors are the way to go.
There is room for light to shine through, and some guys Even painted inside the fender black so the white color wouldn’t show through the vent. These are the Ford vents.

EcoB259

First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT S Crew
Occupation
Retired
I've never seen that style before, what trim/model is your truck?
mine is a 22 XLT Sport the badges are from ford and you can get them with your points.

OP
OP
EcoBeastCA

EcoBeastCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 402A
mine is a 22 XLT Sport the badges are from ford and you can get them with your points.
You know what you might be able to do? If the vent opens up into the fender and there isn't a good spot on the vent itself to attach the light, buy a brighter light and just attach it somewhere in the fender. The light should reflect and cast through. Might be an option. I would try it with the flashlight and see how it looks.

EcoB259

First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT S Crew
Occupation
Retired
Yes I will try that this weekend.

Sponsored

darkhorse

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
retired
Nice mod... thanks for sharing! I just ordered the lights, and also some raptor style grill marker lights from Starkey Products... the wiring adapter harness was $20 off since I purchased it along with my grill marker lights.

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I did something similar at the advice of a Facebook commenter. I cut them down to size and just stuck them on. Didn’t have to pull the vent off. I wired them to my Aux switch panel along with the raptor style lights.

Ford F-150 Illuminated fender badges for less than ten bucks IMG_7504

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
This is the plan.

(edited due to miscommunication!)
Definitely adapter is the way to go, I believe in zero interference with OEM wires as much as possible.
I wonder, can you use both fender LEDs (both sides) with one connector, meaning connect both LED strips to just one side, either driver or passenger? Just to save $40 on a 2nd adapter.

OP
OP
EcoBeastCA

EcoBeastCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 402A
Definitely adapter is the way to go, I believe in zero interference with OEM wires as much as possible.
I wonder, can you use both fender LEDs (both sides) with one connector, meaning connect both LED strips to just one side, either driver or passenger? Just to save $40 on a 2nd adapter.
You definitely can, you'd just have to run wires across to the other side. Luckily they can be pretty narrow gauge.
Sponsored

Reactions: sbi