Motorcraft AGM battery any good?

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
A H6 battery is a bit undersized for a Platinum trim F150. Ford didn't stick to their initial plan due to supply chain shortages, but their early 2021 documentation indicated that a Platinum trim should have a H7 94R AGM battery at minimum. The H6 batteries were only supposed to be used in XL and XLT trims without the diesel engine.

Ford F-150 Motorcraft AGM battery any good? 2021 battery
Sponsored

gh8toes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traded my '19 platinum for a 2024 King Ranch
Occupation
retired
I had to replace the battery in my 2019 platinum last year because even though the original was testing positive, it would never charge to full capacity. I was getting error messages about low battery shut down and such, and a few times it wouldn't start. I replaced it with the BAGM94RH7800 800CCA battery that the Platinum called for. Have not had a problem since. If you look up the battery for your Platinum, I think you will see it also calls for this 800CCA battery. I forget what the reason was that the Platinum required the larger battery, but it had something to do with the extensive electronics on the Platinum. However, I was just checking the availability of this battery online, and it is showing as being on back order. So maybe that's why your dealer substituted a smaller battery. I would still ask them to put in the proper battery later, as the one they gave you is undersized.

You should be able to go to this website and put in your Vin# and it should give you the proper battery for your Platinum - https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/shop-parts

Boen

First Name
andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Platinum
A H6 battery is a bit undersized for a Platinum trim F150. Ford didn't stick to their initial plan due to supply chain shortages, but their early 2021 documentation indicated that a Platinum trim should have a H7 94R AGM battery at minimum. The H6 batteries were only supposed to be used in XL and XLT trims without the diesel engine.

2021 battery.png
Interesting

Boyk1182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost
I had to replace the battery in my 2019 platinum last year because even though the original was testing positive, it would never charge to full capacity. I was getting error messages about low battery shut down and such, and a few times it wouldn't start. I replaced it with the BAGM94RH7800 800CCA battery that the Platinum called for. Have not had a problem since. If you look up the battery for your Platinum, I think you will see it also calls for this 800CCA battery. I forget what the reason was that the Platinum required the larger battery, but it had something to do with the extensive electronics on the Platinum. However, I was just checking the availability of this battery online, and it is showing as being on back order. So maybe that's why your dealer substituted a smaller battery. I would still ask them to put in the proper battery later, as the one they gave you is undersized.

You should be able to go to this website and put in your Vin# and it should give you the proper battery for your Platinum - https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/shop-parts

I looked on a few auto part store websites and they all said H7 for my 2023 Platinum with the PB as well, but I don’t know which engine the OP has if that matters.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
My 21 XLT is now on the third battery.
Original replaced at about 18mo after two visits that required more than overnight stays.
The replacement battery was just replaced again two weeks after the third year of ownership, by me.
I replaced it with an H8 and interestingly enough, everything started working as it should. Updates happened. Display and windows no longer doing stupid shit.

But, this battery has only been in the truck a month and it is way too early to wave a victory flag.
I’ll see what happens in about 6-8 months.
How many CCA's does your new battery have?

Sponsored

Jimalt

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Star White Platinum PB 157” FX4 Max Tow
Occupation
Service
I don’t know if it was causing my problems but with the old battery I kept getting notifications that it was in sleep mode. Around the same time I got a new battery, I did some research and saw issues with the key fobs from other people, so I don’t know if that was causing it. I started putting my key in this pouch just in case and haven’t had an issue since: https://a.co/d/f76hddN

It can be an issue from what I’ve read online so I did it just in case it was causing the issues I had.
If the key is in the pouch and the pouch is in the truck, will it start or do you need to take it out of the pouch?

Boyk1182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost
If the key is in the pouch and the pouch is in the truck, will it start or do you need to take it out of the pouch?
You’d just leave it in the pouch while it’s parked so it blocks the signal and the truck doesn’t detect it. You have to take it out to start the truck.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
How many CCA's does your new battery have?
AGM H8, 900CCA, 160 Reserve Capacity, 95 Amp Hours, Walmart
I should note that my XLT is a mid level with the 8” infotainment and a regular old timey key start. Not a lot of fluffy stuff on this pickup.
At any rate, 3 batteries in 3 years is too much.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
I feel like anyone with an H6 that hasn’t upped the SOC from the factory set 80% and has a truck with auto stop/start is going to have issues, especially if you regularly take short drives.

I have never had a single battery related issue with my 22 XLT, but I’d take a wild ass guess that’s because I have a factory deleted auto start/stop, replaced my factory H6 with a Wal Mart H8 before I had any issues, and regularly use a Noco….in addition to upping the SOC to 90% in Forscan.

Spending that $300 made sense to me to avoid my 60k truck giving me shit, and so far it has worked.

Sponsored

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 SCrew XLT 3.5 Ecoboost, FX4, Max Tow, 6.5 bed
When I began noticing these battery questions on here I popped the hood of my 21 and I have the H8 in mine. I purchased the truck with 53 miles on it and I know it hadn't been touched the whole time I have owned it

bcb97

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2020 Expedition
I just installed an H8 Walmart Everstart in my truck yesterday. Took my old H6 battery and installed it in my cargo trailer running my interior lights. I too was getting the notices that my truck was going into battery save mode.

Ericcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford edge
I showed the dealer the 2022 f150 build book. They replaced the original H6 with a new H7 on my 2022 platinum.
After that, all battery related issues have gone away.
Before that, I had to carry a jump starter in my F150 wherever I went.
Ford F-150 Motorcraft AGM battery any good? IMG_2260

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I will probably go with an Optima Yellow DH7 when it's time to replace the factory battery. So far no issues.
Sponsored